The Joint Programming Initiative Healthy and Productive Seas and Oceans (JPI Oceans) is a pan-European intergovernmental platform that strives to increase efficiency and impact of national investments in marine and maritime research and innovation. JPI Oceans operates at the interface of science and policy and focuses on long-term collaboration between EU Member States, Associated Countries and international partners. Our work adds to the value of national research and innovation investments by aligning national priorities, addressing them with Joint Actions and amplifying impact through strategic engagements.
JPI Oceans runs a diverse portfolio of currently 15 thematic Joint Actions and engages strategically in several European and international activities. This includes two major initiatives of the EU Horizon Europe research and innovation programme. In the Sustainable Blue Economy Partnership, JPI Oceans is a partner leading the Work Package ‘Communication, Outreach and Ocean Literacy’ with some responsibilities also for community building and capacity enhancement. In the Coordination and Support Action (CSA) PREP4BLUE in service of the Mission ‘Restore our Ocean and Waters’, JPI Oceans has roles in engaging communities and innovating funding mechanisms.
The JPI Oceans secretariat is looking for a Communications Officer in support of all our tasks and activities, with a focus on the abovementioned Horizon Europe initiatives.
The JPI Oceans secretariat is based in the heart of Brussels and amidst many of the key EU institutions. The position offers the opportunity to work in a multicultural European environment towards a common vision: the health and sustainability of our seas and oceans. You will be part of a dynamic constellation engaging with policy-makers, ministries, research funders, academics and other stakeholders. There will be ample opportunities to attend international conferences and meetings and build networks with colleagues from across Europe and beyond.
Are you looking for an opportunity to join a small but growing, international team, enrich it with your expertise in areas of communication and engagement, and be immersed in the European research and innovation sphere? We would love to hear from you!
The design of your portfolio of responsibilities will include a broad range of aspects with a focus on communication and outreach activities.
- Support the communication activities of the Sustainable Blue Economy Partnership. Your main roles will be to:
- collaborate on the development of a communication, dissemination and outreach strategy;
- establish a digital presence for the partnership through the development of a website and social media channels;
- enable and manage a multi-stakeholder community of practice;
- organise events and symposia;
- develop ocean literacy and human capacity building activities.
- Support the implementation of the Horizon Europe project PREP4BLUE, which focuses on the preparation of the research & innovation core for Mission Restore our Ocean and Waters. Your role will be to:
- support the establishment of an inclusive network of European initiatives and organisations;
- Support the communication and outreach of JPI Oceans’ thematic Joint Actions and Strategic Engagements. Your roles will be to:
- prepare announcements, news releases, annual reports, brochures, and others;
- create communication materials for the media, citizens and public authorities.
- work with internal and external collaborators to increase value and visibility of our initiatives and engagements.
- A degree or relevant experience in any field of science-related communication and outreach,
- An affinity to marine or maritime sciences or related fields;
- Demonstrated skills in journalistic writing and communication & outreach;
- Experience in stakeholder engagement, ocean literacy or human capacity enhancement;
- Excellent written and verbal language skills in English. Knowledge of French and/or other European languages is an asset;
- Inter-personal skills and ability to maintain effective partnerships and working relations within a multi-cultural environment;
- At least 2-5 years working experience (preferably in an international/European working environment);
- Experience with the Adobe suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator), the content management system Drupal, or other communication-relevant software is an asset;
- The opportunity to work in a small dynamic team with the common vision to enable the transformation towards a sustainable blue economy whilst fostering the health and productivity of seas and oceans.
- Immersion into European research and innovation and in science-policy processes;
- Three-year contract, with prospect for extension, with competitive salary based on public sector remuneration scales;
- Meal voucher contribution at 6.91 EUR per work day, hospitalisation insurance, internet allowance and public transport;
- 30 days of annual holidays.
- Starting date: as soon as possible
- Occasional travelling will be required
- Location: Rue du Trône 4, 1000 Brussels,
Please send your application by 21 September 2022 to Willem De Moor email@example.com as one pdf file including a cover letter and your CV. Supporting documents can be added as considered relevant.