In 2020, a selection of six promising projects commenced their research journey after receiving funding. Each of these projects, known by their acronyms - ANDROMEDA, FACTS, HOTMIC, i-plastic, MicroplastiX, and RESPONSE - has been actively investigating various aspects of microplastics.
Fast forward to September 2023, the coordinators and partners of these projects are eagerly looking forward to the final conference where they will converge. The venue for this momentous event is courtesy of the gracious hosting by the Marine Institute, for which they extend a warm thank you.
The conference's comprehensive program will encompass the highlights and impact of each project. Speakers from the European Commission will be present to contribute their expertise and insights.
Among the significant topics to be discussed during the conference are:
- Identification, characterisation, and quantification of the major microplastic sources.
- Transport, fluxes, and fate of microplastics in the marine environment.
- Degradation and weathering of plastics in the marine environment.
- Introducing new sampling and analytical methodologies for microplastic research.
- Conducting risk assessment and studying the eco-toxicological effects of microplastics.
- A dedicated special session on communication and dissemination strategies to raise awareness about microplastic research.
Furthermore, an exciting session will provide an overview of future research and activities related to microplastics, paving the way for ongoing advancements in the field. The conference promises to be a platform for collaboration, knowledge exchange, and, most importantly, a step towards addressing the pressing issue of microplastic pollution in our marine environment.